<$BlogRSDURL$>



Khaab Khayaal Saraab

Tuesday, June 10, 2003

as an activist, two things scare me: American
Muslims and Deobandi/Salafi/Wahabi influence on the Muslim Main Street
around the world. As an example, here's my reply to a mail I received
about "Bridges TV" [are you following that, btw?]:

"Frankly, American Muslims scare me. Pakistanis don't scare me;
Indian Muslims don't; not even Palestinians or Saudis. But American
Muslims scare me.

Especially when, it seems--for example, from this ad--that the only
reason we should vote is because Jews do--not because Islam imposes upon
us a responsibility to make the community and country we live in a
better place; not because it will help us make a better life for
ourselves and our kids; but because Jews vote and we need to fight them.
Is that all Islam is? As we say back home, always "bughz-e-Muawiya";
never "Hubb-e-Ali"?