<$BlogRSDURL$>



Khaab Khayaal Saraab

Monday, May 05, 2003

being a South Asian Muslim who was educated in the Western mould and brought up as what I have taken to calling a "Constitutional Muslim". Let me try to explain what I mean by that: we are not "secular"; we are not "fundamentalist". We believe that a multi-cultural constitutional republic is very much something that I, as a Muslim of conscience, accept as a valid social contract, one that not only does not clash with, but which is very much something I *want to* (not I am not saying "can") live under and make a contribution to. My religious principles inform my politics, but I want to (again, not "can", but "want to") work within a system of written laws operating within the framework of a constitution to build a society that looks the way I think it should.